a picture of a close up picture of a piece of woodsix different types of bamboo sticks with names on them on a white surface
MILLON

593 - St George’s Cap Ribbon for the armoured cruiser “Admiral Nak…
See original version (French)

Estimate €800 - €1,200
Description
St George’s Cap Ribbon for the armoured cruiser “Admiral Nakhimov”, made of silk with fine orange and black stripes, inscribed in Cyrillic in the centre on the front with “адмирал нахимов” and on the reverse with “Лукулль” in gold lettering, with gold anchor motifs at the ends. Russia, early 20th century. H. 3.6 x W. 136.5 cm. History The first ribbons appeared on Russian sailors’ waxed caps in 1857, before being adopted for peaked caps adorned with a cockade. An order from the Ministry of the Navy dated 14 July 1872 required that the name of the crew or the ship to which they were assigned be displayed on them. A few years later, to commemorate the crossing of the Danube by Russian troops at Zimnitsa on 14 and 15 June 1877, Emperor Alexander II decreed that the black silk ribbons worn by the rank-and-file crew of the Guard should be replaced by St George’s ribbons. This type of ribbon continued to be worn by sailors until 1918. This ribbon bears two distinct inscriptions, “АДМИРАЛ НАХИМОВ” on one side and “ЛУКУЛЛЪ” on the other, likely reflecting the career of a single sailor who was transferred from one ship to another. The armoured cruiser Адмирал Нахимов, built in 1887 at the Baltiiski shipyard in Saint Petersburg, was distinguished by its main artillery, housed in four rotating turrets – an original design for the time. As part of the Baltic Fleet, it undertook several long campaigns before being assigned in 1904 to the 2nd Pacific Squadron during the Russo-Japanese War. During the Battle of Tsushima on 14 May 1905, the ship took around twenty shell hits and was then torpedoed that evening. Damaged and taking on water, it was scuttled by its own crew the following morning as Japanese ships approached. Of the 572 crew members, 46 sailors were killed in action. The “Лукулль”, was originally a British steam schooner built in 1866 and named “Колхида”; it was renamed in 1912–1913 and assigned as an aviso attached to the General Staff of the Commander-in-Chief of the Black Sea Fleet. As gold-embroidered silk ribbons were expensive to produce, it was common practice to reuse them when a ship was reassigned, having the name of the new ship inscribed on the reverse rather than ordering a new one.
See original version (French)
About the sale Russian Art – Mr G’s Collection – Part 3
Auction location
Auction time 09/18/2026 at 11:00 AM
Pictures credits: Contact the Auction House
You may also like