MILLON
589
-
St George’s Cap Ribbon for the armoured cruiser
See original version (French)
589
-
St George’s Cap Ribbon for the armoured cruiser
See original version (French)
Estimate €600 - €800
Voluntary lot
Description
St George’s Cap Ribbon for the armoured cruiser
The Admiral Nakhimov (or the first-rank cruiser of the same name), made of silk with fine orange and black stripes, bearing the inscription “адмирал нахимов” in Cyrillic in gold lettering at the centre, with gold anchor motifs at each end.
Russia, late 19th or early 20th century.
H. 2.8 x W. 139 cm.
History
The first ribbons appeared on Russian sailors’ waxed caps in 1857, before being adopted for peaked caps adorned with a cockade. An order from the Ministry of the Navy dated 14 July 1872 required that the name of the crew or the ship to which they were assigned be displayed on them. A few years later, to commemorate the crossing of the Danube by Russian troops at Zimnitsa on 14 and 15 June 1877, Emperor Alexander II decreed that the black silk ribbons worn by the rank-and-file crew of the Guard should be replaced by St George’s ribbons. This type of ribbon continued to be worn by sailors until 1918.
The armoured cruiser Адмирал Нахимов, built in 1887 at the Baltiiski shipyard in St Petersburg, was distinguished by its main artillery, which was distributed across four rotating turrets – an original design for the time. As part of the Baltic Fleet, it undertook several long campaigns before being assigned in 1904 to the 2nd Pacific Squadron during the Russo-Japanese War. During the Battle of Tsushima on 14 May 1905, the ship sustained around twenty shell hits and was then torpedoed that evening. Damaged and taking on water, it was scuttled by its own crew the following morning as Japanese ships approached. Of the 572 crew members, 46 sailors were killed in action.
A second first-class cruiser was named “Admiral Nakhimov” (Black Sea Fleet) and was built at the Nikolaev Shipbuilding Company’s yard. The ship was laid down on 19 October 1913 and launched on 25 October 1915. On 26 December 1922, it was renamed “Red Ukraine”.
See original version (French)
Auto-translation. Refer to original language for legal validity.
About the sale
Russian Art – Mr G’s Collection – Part 3
Auction location
Auction time
09/18/2026 at 11:00 AM
Pictures credits: Contact the Auction House
You may also like